5.14.2008

More info on Broccoli Nuggets

I guess I could have done a better job explaining - I was just SO excited about my iPod (which needs a name!!) and Keaton's artwork!!!

I've gotten all my "home made baby food/finger food" recipes from this site: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/.

This particular recipe, I found here: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/Meals.htm

Broccoli & Cheddar Cheese Nuggets

1 16-oz Package frozen broccoli, cooked, drained, and chopped
1 cup Seasoned bread crumbs (you could try using baby cereal if you want, we know it works well with "baby meatballs")
1 ½ cups Shredded cheddar cheese (please use real cheese and not a "processed cheese food" product. Try tomato & basil cheddar!)
3 Large eggs - Most pediatricians say it's ok to use whole egg in a baked good when baby is over 8-9 months old without allergies. We would recommend that you substitute 5 egg yolks for the whole eggs if serving this to those under 1 yr. Ask YOUR pediatrician!


1. Heat oven to 375. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
2. Combine all remaining ingredients and mix well.
*Add seasonings if you like - garlic powder, pepper, extra basil & oregano for example
3. Shape mixture into nuggets or fun shapes such as squares or squigglies etc..and place on baking tray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turn nuggets over after 15 minutes. Serve warm
Suitable for those who have had the ingredients and for those who can handle texture and mash foods with their gums. Great for Moms & Dad too!

-----------------
I did use 1/2 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 cup baby cereal (for a couple of reasons: 1) I didn't have enough bread crumbs for this AND chicken divan this week!, 2) the cereal is iron fortified, as is broccoli and these combined will really help out Keaton's iron levels!, 3) is just seemed more nutritious to use cereal as opposed to just bread crumbs! haha)

I didn't add seasonings this time because I wasn't even sure if Keaton would like this or not. Next time, I'll definitely be adding basil and garlic (he loves both!) and I might throw in some Parmesan cheese as well.

From the directions, I took it to mean to mix the broccoli and the bread/cereal mixture together. Next time (just b/c I do NOT like broccoli and it grosses me out to see it sticking out all over the place!) I will most likely make little balls of broccoli and roll those in the bread/cereal mixture (hopefully making it look like a real nugget!) :)

1 people have shared!:

Phronsie said...

LOL! I'd be excited about fingerpainting and iPods too, don't worry! Broccoli nuggets pale in comparison. ;)

Thanks though, I might have to try those!!